On this page, I am pleased to invite you to let us learn together, how we, as human beings, can understand our body structures:–
First, the diagram below shows the typical human body for both sexes:–
This is what is physically visible to the naked eyes. However, embedded in the human body are trillions of cells which are invisible to the public.
Next, these cells are organized into tissues and are further grouped into about eleven (11) major sub-organs/systems which are tabled out alphabetically as follows:-
- The cardiovascular (or circulatory) system is responsible for transporting material around the body. It consists of the heart, network of blood vessels and blood as can be seen below:–
- The digestive system supplies food to the body organs. Its main sub-organs consist of the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines and rectum; while its accessory sub-organs are: the teeth, tongue, liver and pancreas as can be seen below:–
- The endocrine system regulates many body processes. It consists of glands that make up hormones – pituitary gland, pineal gland, thyroid gland, hypothalamus, ovaries and the testes as can be seen here:–
- The Immune system: This is where the necessary cells produce some chemicals like: the thymus, spleen, lymph-nodes, lymph vessels, bone marrow, etc. play major roles., as depicted below:–
For instance, from the above two diagrams, we can see:–
a) Thymus – This is between your breastbone and your heart. It contains or produces the T-cells that contribute to immunity in your body, e.g.:-
b) The Spleen, which is located in the upper left part of the abdomen under the ribcage, works as part of the lymphatic system to protect the body, clearing worn-out red blood cells and other foreign bodies from the bloodstream to help fight off infection. It actually replaces old red blood cells, and filters the blood looking for bad cells that should not have been in your body to flush them out.
c) Lymph System – These are the lymph nodes and vessel; and are found in your neck. Their major function is to filter out bacteria; and they get checked-up by your Medical Doctor to see if they are swollen.
d) White Blood Cells – (otherwise called Immunoglobulins): These are a group of naturally occurring proteins that act as ANTIBODIES. These come in 5 classes: Immunoglobulin A, D, E, G and M; and are better known by the following signs:
- Immunoglobulin A – (IgA)
- Immunoglobulin D – (IgD),
- Immunoglobulin E – (IgE),
- Immunoglobulin G – (IgG), and
- Immunoglobulin M – (IgM).
The major function of immunoglobulins is to detect bad cells in your body system, bind them together and help get rid of them from the body.
e) Red Blood Cells such as: t-cells, b-cells, plasma cells, natural killer cells, etc. They produce chemical substances that contribute to immunity and are part and parcel of your body’s immune system.
5. The Integumentary system protects the internal structures of the body from damage, prevents dehydration, stores fat and produces vitamins and hormones. It consists of the skin, nails, hair, sweat glands. Both the skin and sweat glands are found throughout the body while the nails are on your fingers and toes, e.g.:–
The bulk of your hairs are found on your head with others in small quantities under your armpits and private parts. In addition, some specially-hairy people have hairs grown around their chest/outer stomach, arms and legs.
But for male adults in particular, part of the masculine hormones is to grow hairs around the moustache and beards around the facial chins and jaws. All of these are to protect your body’s internal structures from damage. So, if you must barb/shave any of these hairs out, kindly do them with utmost care, with sterilized utensils and in the cleanest manner!
- The muscular system moves and supports the body with the skeletal musculature and the heart muscles. There are 2 types – anterior and posterior muscular system. Generally, this system consists of about 620 skeletal muscles attached to bones; e.g.:—
(a) Anterior Muscular System (b) Posterior Muscular System
- The nervous system controls the body’s activities. It consists of the brain, spinal cord and network of nerves. These nerves span through the length and breadth of the body system; so it is better to bring them out in a schematic diagram as can be seen below:–
- The reproductive systems enable us to produce children. Male and female reproductive systems are distinct and different, but work harmoniously.
- Male: Penis, testes, scrotum, vas deferens, prostate;
- Female: Vagina, ovaries, uterus, mammary glands;
- The respiratory system supplies the body with oxygen. It consists of nose, throat, trachea, bronchi and lungs, the upper airways and the lower airways; e.g.:–
- The skeletal system provides framework and support to the body. It also protects the body’s internal organs and provides attachment points for muscles, chief among which are the bones, joints, ligaments and cartilage; e.g.:–
- The urinary/excretory systems remove waste products from the body. It consists of urinary tract, bladder, urethra and kidneys.
In addition, there is a way that the urinary system connects to some other major organs of the body to function synergistic ally, e.g.:–
From all the above, it can be seen that it is a very large amount of cells in the body that form the tissues which eventually produce all of the body organs/systems highlighted herein. Furthermore, each tissue consists of similar types of cell. One or more types of tissue work together inside an organ, such as bone or a lung. Internal organs are linked together to form a system that has one or more major roles.
The Body Cells and their Life Spans
In summary, the human body is made up of several organ systems that work together as one unit. So, in essence, the human being is a multi-cellular body. These myriads of cells of the body die at intervals and are replaced with new ones regularly. For instance:-
- Our skin cells die and are replaced once every 28–30 days (about 4 weeks);
- Our heart cells die and are replaced between 30–60 days (about 2 months);
- Our lung cells die and are replaced within 60–70 days (about 2-1/2 months);
- Our lung cells die and are replaced within 60–70 days (about 2-1/2 months);
- Our blood cells die and are replaced within 100–120 days (about 4 months);
- There are still a few other cells that die and are replaced within 11 months.
Therefore, within an approximate period of one year, all the cells in our body are usually replaced or regenerated completely. A major point of note is that the foods and drinks that we consume at any point in time actually constitute the major raw materials used for building new cells in our body. And the quality of the new cells over the replaced old cells determines, to a large extent, how well, strong, vibrant (or otherwise) we would look until the next phase of cells regeneration.
The human body can be likened to an automobile engine. An average automobile engine functions well only when it is treated with the right fuel. Some engines use petrol (PMS) while others use diesel (AGO). Yet, there are a few engines (like Aeroplanes) that use aviation kerosene. When it comes to engine oils, there are different grades, e.g. SAE 40, SAE 50, SAE 20, etc.
In its simplest analogy, if an engine that is supposed to run on petrol is fueled with diesel (or vice-versa), it will not function well. Ultimately, it may get knocked-down prematurely. Then, it has died. So, in order to make the engine to be alive and running properly, we should only fuel it with the recommended fuel and oil grades.
This same analogy applies to our human bodies: if our diets always contain balanced nutrients, then the new cells that replace old ones in our body will always be more vibrant, much stronger and much healthier. If not, the reverse will always be the case.
As a result, the quality of our diet determines, to a large extent, the quality of our cells. And by extension, the quality of our cells determines the quality of our immune system and overall healthy being.
Balanced nutrients can only be found from eating raw (or fresh) vegetables and fruits in contrast to cooked foods. It has been proved that a high percentage of nutrients are destroyed during the process of cooking foods. For instance, during the process of heating, smoking or pasteurizing (or cooking) our foods:-
- About 50% of Vitamin B is destroyed;
- About 96% of Thiamin (B1) is destroyed;
- About 70-80% of Vitamin C is destroyed; and
- About 72% of Biotin is lost;
According to a further research work done at the Max Plank Institute for Nutritional Research in Germany, cooking foods alters protein into substances which disrupt cellular function and speeds up the ageing and disease process. In the process, cooking also coagulates the bioactive mineral/protein complexes and therefore disrupts mineral absorption.
In particular, cooking foods disrupts the RNA and DNA structures, including most of the nutritive value of fats while creating carcinogenic and mutagenic structures in fats to produce free radicals.
In line with the findings of Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA, cooking of foods:–
- Reduces vitamins and oxygen needed for the body;
- Promotes acid accumulation in the body,
- Interferes with thorough digestion in the body;
- Weakens the immune system and the bio-active electrical charge of the body’s tissues and cells;
- Weakens the power of naturally occurring antioxidants; and
- Is greatly responsible for the toxic dump sites that we have in our bodies.
As a corollary, living (fresh) foods clean up these toxic dump sites and the clogged systems, restoring good health and vitality to all our body cells to give us personal control over our health and longevity.
Fresh fruits are body cleansers while fresh vegetables are body nourishers. These contain health-giving rejuvenating enzymes. According to professional medical practitioners and nutritionists, when a cell becomes damaged or undergoes some type of infection, it will self-destruct by a process called apoptosis.
Apoptosis works to ensure proper development and to keep the body’s natural process of mitosis in check. A cell’s inability to undergo apoptosis can result in the development of CANCER – a much dreaded disease!! For your cell to be able to undergo apoptosis, you need to focus on eating raw vegetables and fruits often.
This immediately brings us to the next major issue: what best to eat.
TEN (10) GOLDEN TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY ALWAYS
- Restrict your daily breakfast to eating water-soluble foods – i.e. juices of fresh fruits and raw vegetables only and eat this before 12′Noon everyday of your life. You can even make smoothies of fruits and vegetables together. You can purchase a Smoothie Maker or a good Blender for this purpose here: Some of the favorite results of smoothies include: blending freshly extracted coconut milk, freshly extracted carrot juice, avocado, banana, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, etc. together. For vegetables, you can juice together, spinach, celery, cabbage and a good Omega-3 Oil. Another alternative to smoothies is to buy and mix BarleyMax with BeetMax and CarrotJuiceMax together in water and drink. As a matter of fact, there is a new product called “TrioMax” made by Hallelujah Acres. They provide you with an instant drink of already made mixture of the 3 Maxes together.
- Ensure you juice your vegetables and fruits with appropriate juice extractors when preparing them. (There is a variety of good Juice Extractors out there). You can see the list of a few here: Greenstar series of Juicers, e.g.:- Greenstar Elite, Greenstar-1000, Greenstar-2000, Greenstar-3000, the Solostar-II, Champion-2000. In terms of specific types of juicers, there are three (3) mainly – i.e.
- Centrifugal Juicers,
- Masticating Juicers and
- Triturating/Hydraulic Juicers respectively.
- Each of these is good; but one type has some major advantages over the other. Indeed, you can choose the best type of juicer for yourself from these many other different brands out there, depending on your need and financial capacity.
- Eat your main meal of the day (i.e. solid foods) between the hours of 12 Noon and 8pm. This is the most active period of the day when physical movements are common (and so, more energy is burnt); which concurrently affords the main meals eaten to travel round the internal digestive systems properly to eliminate wastes and retain enzymes. Whole wheat meals and brown rice are best grains for you to feed on. And if you must cook these to eat, then, use pressure cookers to cook so that you can still get most nutrients and enzymes retained.
- For your own personal health benefits, please, try as much as possible to avoid eating too late into the nights. Neither should you eat too heavy foods during this period, too. If at all you feel the urge to eat during this time, try to restrict yourself to fresh fruits and vegetables – water soluble meals. The plain truth is that: the later we eat and the more we eat at nights, the more lethargic and muddle-headed we become on waking up the next morning.
- Drink clean, purified water sufficiently during your active days. And learn to drink it about 30 minutes before your meal or after your meal. Avoid drinking water during your meals. You can get your water to be purified by using WaterWise water purifiers. There are varieties of them out there like: WaterWise4000, WaterWise9000, WaterWise8800, etc.
If you are on a very low budget and cannot yet afford to buy a water purifier, you can do one of two things, e.g.:–
- You can settle for juicing watermelon fruit and drink the water. Indeed, the purest water is the liquid juiced out from ripe watermelon fruits. It is said to be about 99% pure water! And it is 100% natural- No Additives!! Drink this often if you are on a low budget; and you will remain healthy always; and/or
- You can buy some Moringa seeds to purify your water. Crushed Moringa seeds clarify and purify water to suit domestic use and lower the bacterial concentration in the water, making it safe for drinking.
Some little Information about Moringa
Moringa seed powder can be used as a quick and simple method for cleaning dirty river water. Studies showed that this simple method of filtering not only diminishes water pollution, but also harmful bacteria. The moringa powder joins with the solids in the water and sinks to the bottom. This treatment also removes about 90-99% of bacteria contained in water.
By using Moringa seeds, people will no longer be depending on expensive means originating from the West. Using Moringa to purify water replaces chemicals such as aluminum sulphate, which are dangerous to people and the environment, and are expensive.
Water from varying sources will need different amounts of Moringa seeds powder because the impurities present will not be the same. Experiments with a jar will help in working out the correct amount needed.
Depending on how clear the water you are trying to purify is, between 0.5g-1.5g (50-150mg) of ground moringa seed will treat one quart (liter) of water. Then, take the following steps:–
- Allow the moringa seed pods to mature on the tree before harvesting them.
- Remove the seeds husks, leaving a white kernel.
- Crush the seed kernels to a powder with either a stone or a mortar.
- Mix a small amount of clean water with the powder.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer with a clean cloth which will result in a milky liquid.
- Add this milky fluid to the water you want to purify.
- Stir the water quickly for 30 seconds, then slowly and regularly for five minutes.
- Cover the water and do not disturb it for at least an hour.
- The clean water may be siphoned or poured off the top.
Meanwhile, here in Nigeria, a mature moringa seed costs between N10 to N15 each as at the time of filing-in this report. This may be due to its present scarcity in the market. As more supplies stream in, its prices may drop downwards and become more relatively affordable by the ordinary citizen in the Country. But even at its current price, one can still afford to buy about 10 seeds for between N100 to N150; and this can make do for a family of six (6) for one month.
- Refrain from carbonated bottled or canned ‘soft’ drinks, packaged fruit juice drinks, so called ‘energy’ drinks, etc. or reduce your appetite for them as much as humanly possible. Majority of these drinks have the highest concentrates of sugar and can cause more harm than good to your internal body systems.
- Avoid all forms of alcoholic beverages in your personal interest. Apart from God’s injunctions against alcoholic intakes in both the Holy Bible and the Holy Quran, medical experts generally posit that “alcohol depresses the central nervous system and disturbs both mental and physical functioning”; to the extent that even, small doses of alcohol will slow a person’s reflexes and concentration; and has potentially dangerous effects when, for example, driving a vehicle or operating a machinery! This apart, drunkenness usually causes slurred speech, muddled thinking, amnesia (memory loss), drowsiness, erectile IMPOTENCE (particularly in adult men), poor co-ordination and dulled reactions – thereby making driving or operating machinery especially dangerous.
Furthermore, it has been proven by medical practitioners that persistent alcohol misuse leads to physical, mental, social and occupational problems – including but not limited to:–
- Physical problems such as gastritis, peptic ulcer, liver disease, heart disease and impotence; and
- Occupational problems such as – getting into fights, jeopardizing personal relationships that may result into domestic violence against loved ones, over-spending at weekends and missing days off work because of hangovers.
- Likewise, avoid all forms of caffeine and tobacco intakes as much as possible. These substances do greater harm to the body than any good. Caffeine can be very dangerous to your muscular organs; while tobacco intakes are causal agents for lung cancer in your respiratory organs and other chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases like: bronchitis, emphysema and asthma; where normal airflow into the lungs is obstructed.
- Reduce your appetite for high carbohydrate-content foods, white-sugar and white-flour foods/drinks, particularly if medical diagnosis has revealed that you have traces of diabetes in you.
- Finally, always listen to your body language every time. Our body speaks to us regularly; but many people ignore what it says. For instance, if you have to defecate early in the mornings with some relative difficulty before the first faeces are discharged out of your anus, then, you should rather check back on the particular type of diet that you fed on retroactive to some 24 – 72 hours earlier. That simple symptom may be a sign that your body is reacting to such types of food for you as a person; and the best you can do in order to maintain your health is to abstain/refrain from such foods henceforth.
May you continue to live healthy lives forthwith.
- How To Regain and Retain Your Health by Rev. Tony Akinyemi. A classic book to guide anyone on holistic health. The book is available for purchase online here.